Bathroom safety is a major concern for many homeowners. Data from AARP indicates that 77 percent of adults over 50 want to remain in their homes for long term. According to statistics it is reported that one-third of the population over the age of 65 fall each year.
Recent studies have shown that up to 80 percent of falls in the home occur in bathrooms.
There are several universal design ideas to make your bathroom safe, not only for seniors but for all generations. There are bathroom safety products to make your bathroom more accessible depending on your needs, from easy updates such as the addition of grab bars to more involved solutions such as walk-in-tubs.
Accessible bathroom safety products come in many modern finishes and styles and no longer make your bathroom “look like a hospital.”
If you are planning to remodel for bathroom safety, consider the following:
- Wider door entry to 36”
- Multiple sinks at varying heights, such as in a split-level vanity. This is great for young children as well as those who might use a wheelchair.
- Built-in floating vanities to give your space that perfect modern touch and allow for easy under counter access.
- Grab bars in shower and toilet areas- can be used as towel holders.
- Curb less shower entry
- Shower bench
- Adjustable handheld shower fixture
- Slip proof flooring for room and in shower
- Adequate artificial and natural light in bathroom and shower
- Anti-Scald valves
- Comfort height toilets 19” high
- Bar pulls and levers for ease of opening and closing doors and drawers
- Niches at regular height and also low in the walls for shampoo, conditioner, washcloth, and razors.
Our experts at Your Dream Remodeling will help you modify your home to accommodate all of your aging-in-place needs. Our bathroom safety solutions will ensure your remodeled bath is comfortable, stylish and functional.
Contact our experts at Your Dream Remodeling to design and remodel for improved bathroom safety.